Sunday, February 12, 2012

Cancer Days

Every now and again I experience days that throw me right back into the realization that I am a cancer patient.   I call these my cancer days.  Although my surgery was almost 2 years ago, I just celebrated 1 year since my last chemo treatment, and my 1 year anniversary since radiation ended is just around the corner.....I am still a cancer patient.  A SURVIVOR, definitely, but a cancer patient all the same.  Normally, I take this title with a grain of salt, and a thankful heart and the title has no negative connotation at all to me.  Every now and then though, the pain, irritation, and side effects get to me.  I always feel guilty when I have down days because I have so much that I am thankful for in my life and a lot of it came through my cancer journey, but I am only human and sometimes I believe that God allows me to have these "cancer days" so that I am better equipped to empathize and share with my fellow cancer patients.  I don't ever want to forget what being a cancer patient feels like, as crazy as that may sound, because I want to always be able to share with others going through what I went through. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a future."  All the affirmation I need to get through my cancer days knowing that God is always in control and I will continue to pray that God will continue to use me and my cancer for His plan to help others and further His kingdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment