Thursday, November 29, 2012

BRAC Blessings

When I was diagnosed with cancer and my surgeon wanted to do a genetic test, I had no idea the impact those test results would have on my family.  I knew that it would matter for my own treatment, but I was completely oblivious to how it would affect my mom, my sister, my kids and my nieces.  My eyes were soon opened!  My test came back positive for BRCA2.  Thanks to this information, I knew that I needed to have a bilateral mastectomy rather than a lateral mastectomy.  Being positive for BRCA2 puts me at a 12% risk of a second breast cancer within 5 years of the first, as well as a 16% risk of subsequent ovarian cancer.  We also learned that each of my first degree relatives has a one-in-two chance of having the same mutation.  And so the testing began!  My sister, Stacy, was the first to be tested after me.  She was also positive for BRCA2.  She took her results in stride and was only angry that because we didn't know about the test before I was diagnosed I didn't have the same opportunities for prevention.  My mother was next, and felt sure that since two of her daughters had it, that she would absolutely have it too.  She was right.  My sister, Sheryl, was a little more hesitant and unsure about whether or not she wanted the test.  She had worried about breast cancer ever since we lost our beautiful Aunt Laura to the horrid disease.  She pestered her doctor to start mammograms as early as possible due to our family history, and was sure that she, not her baby sister, would be the next in our family to have breast cancer.  Praise God, she was spared from any further worry for herself or her two daughters when she received her negative test results! Mutations in the BRCA2 puts the carrier at risk for an 84% risk of breast cancer by the age of 70 and a 27% risk of ovarian cancer by the age of 70.  The options currently available for those who are BRAC positive are increased surveillance such as self exams, clinical exams, mammograms starting at age 25-35 and CA125 testing (blood work); chemoprevention such as tamoxifen which has been shown to reduce the risk of breast cancer and oral contraceptives which may reduce the risk of ovarian cancer and preventive surgery such as a mastectomy (removal of the breasts) and oopherectomy (removal of the ovaries).  Mom and Stacy chose to have the preventive surgeries just after they received their test results and Sheryl (along with our kids, husbands and Dad and StepMomma) took on the role of care taker for us all. We are now almost 2 years out from all those tests, decisions and surgeries and we are all cancer free.  In September, my daughter, Taylor turned 18 years old, which is the youngest age that one can submit to the BRAC test.  I had known I wanted her tested since I found out my own results.  She went back and forth about whether or not she wanted it, but when she turned 18 she decided she wanted to know once and for all.  She was tested in October and she is also positive for BRCA2.  She will start monthly self exams and semiannual clinical exams and CA125 testing.  We obviously had hoped that she would join Sheryl and the girls in the negative club, but we are still thankful to know!  What a blessing BRAC Genetic Testing has been to our family.  Knowledge truly is Power!  The power to prevent, the power to screen and the power to stop worrying.
ALL FACTS ABOUT BRAC GENETIC TESTING TAKEN FROM "UNDERSTANDING YOUR GENETIC TEST RESULT" BROCHURE PROVIDED BY MYRIAD LABS

No comments:

Post a Comment